Friday, March 17, 2017

"Mindspeak" Review ~ Friday Fun!

Hiya guys! TGIF! Anyone else loving today? Happy St. Patrick's Day!! Are you wearing green? I know I am!


I've got a new review to share with you today! It's one I actually read for fun, instead of for a tour or R4R request.

That's probably part of what disappointed me so much. =/

Check it out, and see what I thought! This review is an UnPlugged review, which does have spoilers, and a bit deeper look into my thoughts and reactions for the book. It's not meant for professional use or opinions, simply coffee-shop discussing. The one I'm posting on Goodreads & Amazon, is my "plugged in" (professional) review, sans spoilers. You can find that one here.

It is a slightly bummed review, just a heads up. If you'd rather skip this post, please feel free! =)

Mindspeak

(Mindspeak #1)

 Mindspeak
~Released: June 6th, 2013

~Publisher: Sun Publishing

~Length: 396 Pages

~Genres: Young Adult, Urban Fantasy, Paranormal, Sci-Fi, Romance

(FREE!)

She was created for a purpose so revolutionary, someone was willing to kill for it.

Seventeen-year-old Lexi Matthews keeps two secrets from her elite boarding school classmates—she’s the daughter of a famous and controversial geneticist, and she can influence people’s thoughts.

But after new student Jack DeWeese heals her broken arm with an anything-but-simple touch, he forces Lexi to face a new reality—her abilities reach much further than speaking to the minds of others.

After Lexi’s father goes missing and she receives threatening emails, she can’t decide whether to fall into Jack’s arms or run and hide.

As Lexi seeks answers to what she and Jack are, she discovers a truth more unsettling than anything her science books can teach. And letting Jack into her life of secrets is not only a threat to her very existence, but it just might break her heart wide open.



 Heather Sunseri
Heather Sunseri is a recovering CPA who began writing novels in order to escape the mundane life as a muggle. After twenty years in the corporate world, Heather decided to use her business savvy and curious mind to start a publishing business anchored by fictional stories. She is proof that one can be a numbers person and a creative… And that it’s never too late (or too early) to get a do over. She’s married to the love of her life, mom to two amazing kids, and caregiver to the best golden retriever and one very, needy cat. When she’s not writing, she’s making homemade pizza and drinking Kentucky bourbon.





You know how you start a book, and it's like "I"m gonna love this so much!! Eeek!" I love that feeling.

Then, you know how it ends up being a book you want to use to prop up your end table, and your stomach just sinks a bit? That's how Mindspeak ended up for me, and I'm so bummed!


I first noticed this book when I saw it in a newsletter, promoting it's Freebie-ness. The cover caught my eye, even if that chick is waaaaay overused in YA fiction. (Seriously, that model must be making some serious bank, because I see that exact picture used everywhere!!) The synopsis sounded epic though, so I picked it up, adding it to my TBR list. I've seen other books and series from this author, and made sure to keep this book high up on my TBR list. I've been wanting to read it for several months, and when I finally got a break in my R4R schedule, I was excited to finally start on it!


The first few chapters had me intrigued, and just so sure it would be an awesome book.

Then the drama between Lexi and Jack intensified, and her back and forth between liking him and not trusting him became the main focus.


That horse was beaten to death after a few chapters. Sheer stubbornness and the thought "this has to get better, right? Just one more chapter..." kept me going. I was wrong. By the time I'd reached the 50% mark, I'd had beyond enough. I'd yelled at the book, said several curse words in frustration with the constant dramatic tension that made no sense with the rest of the book, and just wanted to be done.


I decided to stop, and blow it off as a DNF, not sure if I'd put up a review or not. I don't generally enjoy reviewing a book if I didn't finish it, unless there was some glaring reason I didn't finish, like there were graphic materials the author didn't make clear to potential readers.

There was some of that in this book, but not enough for me to feel the need to warn other readers. I began searching for another book to read, so I'd have a review to put up this week. Every synopsis I read just made me more frustrated, until I realized it was because I needed to finish the book. My mind needed to see how it ended, and that's generally what always happens. I can't move on from a story, even if I hate it, until I get to the end. My brain just doesn't let go. I hate that about my mind.


So, with many curse words and an air of just wanting to get it over with, still holding out a smidgen of hope that it might actually get better, I kept reading.

In some ways, it didn't get any worse. The tension, however, got far, far worse. If Lexi was a real person, I would slap her, and tell her to get a friggin' backbone to match the rest of her actions. She's a reckless rebel who doesn't listen in any other aspect of her life, why not with Jack?! It just doesn't make any sense! When a person is that insecure about someone, and they have Lexi's personality, they don't act like she did, unless they have some serious mental issues. I don't believe she does, which just makes it even worse!


She's supposed to be this strong, tough little thing, and yet, was that pathetic with a guy. I know they were literally "made for each other" in the lab, and they have a "special connection" blah blah blah. Yet another dead horse beaten beyond recognition. Adding the sci-fi twist of them being a lab-created match doesn't matter - it was annoying, and pathetic.


I 100% believe the story would have been better, had the author taken Lexi in one direction or another. Either she didn't trust him, and was a strong chick kicking ass and taking names, or she fell into her feelings for him, and they became a kick-ass team. The back and forth "I don't trust you!" "Kiss me!" "I don't trust you!" "Kiss me!" was just embarrassing.


She was, and is, more mature than that, even if he was her "first crush." She had the balls to turn down what seemed like many admirers, and not be swayed by a pretty face - that was her personality. If Jack was her other half, he should have made her stronger, not turned her into a pathetic mess. It just didn't fit either of them, their creation purpose, or any other part of the story. Either they're strong and epic super-humans, or they are pathetic teenagers in a generic rom-com mess of hormones. Not a good mix to mash them together though - it was just painful.


The second part that killed this story for me...oh, you thought I only had one issue with this book? No. I have two main complaints, and the idiocy of Lexi is only one.

The second part, was the flow, which was ruined by the redundancy of the conversations. Several times throughout the book, the characters literally had the same friggin' conversations, paired with several cookie-cutter situations. The story took so many u-turns, it gave me a headache. It felt like I was trying to follow the track of a toddler's doddle - impossible!


This story could have been cut in half, and not have lost anything significant. A lot of books are like that (dare I say, so is mine, if I had to bet), and it's not entirely a book-killer, on it's own. Still, it is something that, when you're already struggling to get through it, adds to the frustration. I wouldn't normally have that much of an issue with it, but when mixed with my growing desire to punch Lexi in the face with every chapter, it made my quest to just end the book even more frustrating.

*deep breath*


Ok, so it may seem like I actually hated this book. I didn't. I didn't particularly enjoy it, but I didn't hate it. I was intensely frustrated with Lexi's character, but the story overall was actually quite interesting. The mystery thrown in was fun to follow, and the suspense was well-placed.


Had it not been for my issues with Lexi, it would have been a solid three roses. The flow is a huge aspect of the reading enjoyment though, so that did pull it down another rose. In reality, it probably would have been one rose for me, had it not been for the fact I couldn't just move on. I did want to see how it ended, even though at the half-way mark where I had to decide what to do with it, I genuinely hated the story.

It does say something, that in the second half of the book, there were enough interesting plot twists to bump it up two roses.

The story idea itself was interesting, and the gifts the kids all have were fun to read about. I just wish the story flowed smoother.


Anyway, all that to say - I didn't enjoy this story nearly as much as I hoped to. I'd probably read the sequel, if it wasn't for Lexi. If her issues don't sound like they would bother you, and the story sounds interesting, definitely pick this book up, and give it a try! It does have plenty of rave reviews, and hopefully you'll enjoy it more than I did!


This was a candid, UnPlugged review, not meant for anything other than personal expression. If you want to see my official review of this book, check out my PluggedIn review here.



Thanks for visiting, and have a fantastic weekend! =D

No comments:

Post a Comment